Monday, May 9, 2011

A Sign o' the Times

Hey!

Good news!
(If maybe a little late. Maybe I'm not paying the proper attention to this stuff.) (Hey, but I'm willing, near-perfectly...)
(Or maybe I'm just like my mother...)

In any case, our eternally beloved, if poor ol' battered and beaten-up-beyond-Bondo-repair good ol' SPIN magazine (hey, cats 'n' kittens, remember way back when?) has declared Prince's Sign O' The Times the Official Most Second-Best of All The Albums of the Past 25 Years. Yeah!! (Ok, so I'm like a year or two late in noticing... but who reads SPIN anymore?)
Whoa!!
And check it out — my very own review of the album is quoted, if dope-ily, by whoever that week's dumbass dope in charge of organizing the Today's Super Dopey List Of Whatever-The-Fuck We're Listing Up Today! Yeah!! Whoah! (BTW: Don't let the elevator break you down...)

Here: here's the poor sad nitwitted knucklehead's intro: (and I'd urge ya'll to enjoy it, as I can't help but do so my ownself..)

Prince's divinely, defiantly eclectic double-album came out at a time when SPIN was all agog. "I guess you know what the problem with Prince is: he's too good," goes the start of Bart Bull's review. "He's so good he can do anything he wants...and sometimes the dumb stuff he does works out to be the best stuff anybody's ever done. Ever." That even-the-dumb-stuff-works spirit imbued an album as personally pointed and stylistically varied as any ever made, and it's aged well enough that, in a 2005 tribute, SPIN's Michaelangelo Matos called it a "one-stop superstore for the past two decades of pop."

And then, here, here's the actual undying review thing.... there's such a great story that goes along with this one, a story that swirls together Al Green and Don Dixon and Marti Jones and Elvis and Graceland and Albert King and Duck Dunn and Memphis itself and . . . well, I'm'na get to this story, with Polaroid photos, perhaps, sooner or later. (Me, I'd hold my breath, breathlessly...)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wanted to thank you for this ωonԁerful read!
! ӏ absolutely enjoyed every bit of it. І have you saved as
a favοrite tο сheсκ out nеω
things yοu ρoѕt…

Alsο vіsit my blоg :: facebook cuenta gratis

Anonymous said...

Spοt on ωith this ωrіte-up,
I rеally think this web site needs а lot morе attention.
I'll probably be returning to read more, thanks for the info!

Feel free to visit my page http://grammarstars.blogspot.co.uk

Anonymous said...

What a material οf un-ambiguity and preseгveness
of valuable familiаrity abоut unρredicted fеelingѕ.


Also vіsit mу blog post: abrir cuenta facebook